Monday, December 18, 2017

Day 2: It’s All in a Day’s Work - Actvity 1 ll Winter Learning Journey

Day 2: It’s All in a Day’s Work

Activity 1: A House or a Home?

In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?

On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?

___________
My work Below!



2 comments:


  1. Kia ora Brooke
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    I love the work you have done for this task it is amazing. You are so creative, and I love what you did with similarities task as well. Would you love to build your own house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to see that you've been working through these activities. Well done!

    I like how you've laid out your thinking on the photo. You've done some very good thinking here and come up with some good similarities and differences. I like how you've talked about how shoes are not allowed in a wharepuni but are allowed in your house.

    Would you like to stay in a wharepuni one day? It would be a very different experience from living at my house!

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete