Thursday, December 21, 2017

Day 4: Activity 2 - Playing Games ll Summer Learning Journey

Activity 2: Playing Games R20A-2.jpg
Hundreds of years ago, young Māori children were taught to play a number of games, including Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. Read about each of these four games on the Rangatahi tu Rangatira website. Have you played any of them before? Isn’t it cool how the games have been passed down for generations?

Choose one game, and on your blog, tell us the (i) name of the game, (ii) the goal or purpose of the game, and (iii) two rules.

You could try playing some of the games with a friend.

--------
I have played Ki O Rahi before at my old school. The purpose of the game is to get as many hits at the object in the middle and to to touch as many PO with the ball but make sure not to get your tags taken off you. Two rules for the game is when you get touched you have to stop and the ball is given to the other team. You cant go past the boundaries or else automatically it is the other teams ball.
Image result for ki o rahi

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Brooke,

    Ki O Rahi sounds like a fun game to play but also one that is quite challenging. It sounds like you have to give the ball to the other team when you are touched but does that also mean that you have to leave the game or can you continue to play? When I was living in Canada we used to play a similar style of game and every time you were touched with the ball you had to give the ball to the other team and leave the game. Eventually, there would only be one player left from each team battling it out to see who would be the ultimate champion. It was a little bit like dodgeball, in that way, I reckon. Do you ever play dodgeball at school? It was a really popular game in my school when I was growing up in Ottawa (Canada).

    I hope that you and your family/friends are having lot of fun this holiday. Are you able to get outside and play some games? I am hoping to get outside later today to play a game of basketball with Aronui (my son). He loves basketball and wants to play every day. Fortunately, I used to play b-ball when I was younger so I can go out and shoot around with him. One day, though, he's going to be bigger and stronger than I am and I won't be able to keep up with him!

    Wishing you a lovely day. Enjoy the sunshine :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete