Monday, December 25, 2017

Week 2 - Day 1: Activity 1 The Early Years (Late 1800s – 1919)

Day 1: The Early Years (Late 1800s – 1919)

Activity 1: St Joseph’s Cathedral
At the turn of the century, there was a great deal of construction happening in New Zealand. Many of the new British settlers wanted to build homes and community meeting places, such as churches. One of the largest buildings to be constructed during this period was St Joseph’s Cathedral in Dunedin.

St Joseph’s Cathedral is just one of the hundreds of beautiful cathedrals around the world.

Use your search engine to find a picture of another famous cathedral. Post a picture of the cathedral on your blog. Underneath the picture tell us: the name of the cathedral, where the cathedral is located, when it was built, and how long it took to build.

The name of this famous Cathedral is Notre Dame. This may look very familiar because of the Disney film The Hunchback and Notre Dame! This is located in Paris/France. It was built in 1163 which is a long time ago. But it took 200 years to build which is amazing.




2 comments:

  1. Hey there Brooke, thanks for completing another two activities. It's great to see you working hard during your school holidays. I hope you've had a very Merry Christmas.

    This is really beautiful cathedral you've chosen for this activity. I do remember it from the cartoon I saw when I was much younger.

    I can't believe it took 200 years to build. That is such a long time. Why do you think it took so long to build?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Brooke,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey.

    Thanks for sharing this magnificent cathedral on your blog! I like the way you have even added a bonus fact that the Notre Dam was a setting in a Disney film. Like Billy, I can't believe it took 200 years to build. I bet they were so proud and relieved once it was all complete. I think it was well worth the time!

    I think a lot can happen in 200 years. How crazy to think that it would be the year 2218! I wonder what it would be like in 200 years? Will they have flying shoes and people with robot friends? What do you think?

    It's awesome to see how actively you have been blogging this summer. I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blogs. We can't wait to see what else you will blog!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete